1. Make sharing books together a consistent part of your family fun this summer.
2. Set a good example by reading your own books in front of your children.
3. Create a summer reading list with your child. Many schools and libraries offer lists by grade level.
4. Read aloud to your child, and have them read aloud back to you.
5. Let your child select books and topics that are especially of interest to them.
6. Read and discuss books about your planned summer activities (camping, swimming, sports).
7. Pack books and take them along on summer trips and outings together.
8. Encourage your child to keep a “Summer Reading Journal” and write about the books they read.
9. Praise your child upon completion of a reading assignment or a reading challenge during the summer.
10. Share your favorite books from your own childhood with your kids.
How does Read Conmigo help? “Many Hispanic parents who don’t read English fluently hesitate to read to their children at home. However, studies show that bilingual reading is equally effective at maintaining and improving reading skills and educational levels,” said Alberto M. Carvalho, Superintendent of Miami-Dade County Public Schools. “Read Conmigo is an exemplary corporate initiative that provides valuable resources to parents and teachers on the frontlines.”
The Read Conmigo campaign has distributed more than 200,000 free bilingual reading books given to parents, children, teachers and schools across America. A complete list of reading tips and resources for parents will be available and updated regularly during the summer at readconmigo.org.
Parents participating in the Read Conmigo Summer Reading Academy can register their children online for the summer's “Create a Story” contest at readconmigo.org/authors, to win a Kindle Fire for their home (and the chance to have their winning manuscript published as a Read Conmigo book). A jury will select contest winners in August, right before back-to-school. The free Read Conmigo Summer Reading Kit is available at select Infinity Auto Insurance locations all summer long (visit readconmigo.org/summer to find a location near you where you can pick up a free Summer Reading Kit).
Read Conmigo is a parent-focused bilingual literacy campaign that encourages Hispanic parents to read to their children at home.